Thursday, November 20, 2014

Adopt! Don't Shop!

I'm a little late but October was National Adopt a Pet month!

As most of my family, friends, and colleagues know, I'm a huge dog lover. I love all dogs, but most importantly, shelter dogs. They have won a special place in my heart. I wish I could save them all, but in reality, I just can't. However, I did rescue two dogs who have helped me discover the true meaning of unconditional love.

Back in August 2011, My roommate and I had the brilliant idea of visiting the local animal shelter. We didn't have any intention of buying, just browsing. 

Yeah, right! 

Advice to any of you who are new to animal shelters, don't go to "browse". You will almost always come out with an animal. That's what happened to me. 

Here he is...

How could I possibly resist? However at this time in my life, I had never trained a puppy and had never taken care of a dog on my own. Oh boy, did I have a TON to learn. 

We've been best friends ever since.

I began teaching a few years ago and realized Kev dog was having separation anxiety from me being at work all day. So therefore, as a new teacher in a new town, I decided to get...

A new puppy.


From my experience of adopting two dogs from animal shelters, here is my advice:

1.) If you have another dog, take he or she to the shelter to see if they get along with the new dog you choose.

2.) Introduce your new dog to his new environment by taking him for a walk around your neighborhood before entering the house.

3.) Know that when adopting an animal from a shelter, they are more than likely going to be sick. So it's important to take them to vet for a check up or to get medication.

4.) Be patient! It's going to take some time for them to get used to you, the new environment, and their new routine. 

5.) Give them lots of LOVE and realize you saved their life. 

This post is dedicated to my two shelter pups who have enhanced my life tremendously. Sometimes I wonder, who saved who?






0 comments:

Post a Comment