Friday, October 10, 2014

Five for Friday!

Happy Friday! 


Whew, this week flew by! 

I blinked and suddenly it was Friday.

Maybe it was because we were so busy learning and having fun.

Here's what our class was up to this past week. 


To learn more about Step Up to Writing, click here.
On Monday, my school brought in a presenter who gave us strategies and ideas on how to use the program, Step Up to Writing. 

Example: Three Part Sentence Strategy with PWIM


PWIM: Label the picture.

Three Part Sentence: The girl walked through the pumpkin patch.

 The girl         walked        through the pumpkin patch
(who or what? )  (action)               ( finish the thought)


Peer teaching! What a BEAUTIFUL sight!
Students helping one another during our math lesson over regrouping.
Peer teaching? I've never tried it...but it's GENIUS.

I was teaching a challenging lesson about regrouping using base ten blocks. By the way, this lesson took three days for my students to master the concept. As I let them do their independent work, I noticed some of my students were struggling. Some of my students finished their work easily, and I had them guide their classmates. 



Yippee for Fall decor! 

Boo! Ready for Halloween!

Our porch is almost set for Fall! Just missing our new burlap wreath!


The Biggest Pumpkin Ever read aloud and pumpkin craft.

We read aloud The Biggest Pumpkin Ever  by Steven Kroll.

After the read aloud, it was time for our pumpkin craft!

Materials:
Paper plate (1 for each child)
Orange & black paint 
Paint brushes
Green & Orange streamers
Glue

Students painting their plate orange for their pumpkin.

Pumpkin with freckles.

Ninja pumpkin.


Cuddle time

Now it's time to rest with my sweet fur babies. 
Have a super weekend!
Mica


1 comment:

  1. I love the Ninja pumpkin and your peer teaching tip for regrouping! My seconds are struggling with the same concept and I will pair them up at your recommendation next week! My dog wakes me up at the crack of dawn every day too! Thank God for naps!

    Warm Regards,
    ~Jennifer
    Stories and Songs in Second

    ReplyDelete